News:

Plugins can be downloaded from HERE

Big Rat's introduction

Started by Big Rat, March 28, 2009, 07:00:05 am

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Big Rat

Greetings ITAN.

I have been approached in VO by several members and chatted and done a bit of training, a few missions and some sparring etc. I have been encouraged to apply to become a member. I did not rush into it because I was (still am) not really sure of the pros / cons? of guild membership, but ITAN looks to be close to what I started playing VO for in the first place... more about that in a minute. First, a bit about me.

I am a middle aged pro musician (performer, teacher, composer etc.) with a wife, kid, dog, mortgage - the works. I am not a real "gamer" in the usual sense of the word, but have been playing one game (Descent) avidly for over ten years as one of my stress relief activities. For those of you who do not know Descent, it is a first person shooter with small, single person spaceships, and 3-D flight set in underground mines filled with mining robots to fight against in single-player mode, and a multi-player mode (played on Kali) that totally rocks! It must be one of the direct ancestors of VO. It is an old DOS game from the mid 90's though, and while there is a new-ish version for XP, that came along too late to save it from slowly dying out it seems. It is very difficult to get games going there these days, which is what sent me searching for new action, which brought me to VO. So - sorry for mentioning descent so much, but it has a lot to do with why I am here in several ways.

The flight parameters in descent are very similar to physics mode, but it is set in these underground caverns and tunnels. Tunnel fighters are called "rats" and I am one of those (I also like dogging)... hence the name "Big Rat" (6' 4" / 250). I have had this nick for 13 years, I like it, it has almost become a real part of my personality, it is the only nick I have ever used, and I even have a rat stuffy sitting on one of my speakers that my wife gave me. I am not a pirate. I started playing VO with that nick before i knew that pirates in VO were called "rats" too. I am keeping the nick because it is me. I am also known as Brat (B. Rat) or just rat... sorry for the confusion, but everyone will get used to it. And if the pirates don't like it, that's just too bad for them ;-)

Another thing about descent is that the fighting in multi-player mode is very intense, relentless fast-paced high energy mayhem (up to 8 players in a confined space), with instant regeneration after dying. A 2 player game is usually the first to 20 kills, and a multi game can last well over an hour with the winner having 50 - 100 kills or even higher. This is the type of gameplay I am used to, and hope to somehow encourage in VO, within the games existing parameters, of course. Not exactly sure how just yet...

Last thing about descent (?): most multi-player descent maps are predominantly hoizontal things, descent players being often too lazy to learn vertical flight skills. I am one of a minority that loves it, so VO is in that respect, what descent never amounted to sufficiently for me. I also like the "leveling-up" with both ships and pilot skills aspect in VO.

When I read the intro stuff about VO I was intrigued and have to admit the reality is not quite what I expected, however there are possibilities... I thought I was signing up for an ongoing war over territory and finite resources to sustain the war effort and a home for our civilian population. I kind-of expected to get trained vigorously and then sent into battle to promote the interests of, and defend the honor and wealth of Itan. Oops - another descent reference here - I have belonged to the same clan since playing descent online with never the slightest thought of leaving. For the purpose of gaming and fun, if I get interested enough, I will be fiercely loyal - to me that is part of the fun. I can understand hanging out and chatting with folks in VO, but we should also be kicking the crap out of our enemies every day - that is where the fun will lie for me. I am used to doing that with good spirits - some of the fiercest descent battles I have had have been in-clan with old friends. I must also have 10,000 deaths and 10,000 kills there, so I will have no problems with dying many times to improve my VO piloting skills. I am still getting used to it - been here about a month, with a week absent. I still require training and lots of practice. My levels are 8/8/7/5/- so far... not much interested in mining.

I have read the guild policies, rules and relations and think they are cool. "The Coalition Of Itan is dedicated to the defense and progression, by any means necessary, of the Itani nation." I like the sound of that. I think the red solar systems should become blue... I am surprised that is not a major element of the game - shifting borders and financing the defense of border systems and entire solar systems with bots combined with "real" border patrols the outcomes of which matter etc... all with the pirate "wild card". (I am aware of the challenges in sustaining activity of this kind, with folks coming and going, irregular schedules like mine...)

anyway - there's where I'm at. If ITAN wants me, I am in. It may take some of the above mentioned type of activity to keep me in VO long term, but I am willing to give it a chance as an Itani fighter. Oh - last thing: I chose Itan because it is the artistic race... I think some element of that needs to be incorporated somehow, maybe...

ok - it's bloody late. I'm going to bed.
see you in space
rat

Estrian

March 28, 2009, 07:24:17 am Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:27:31 am by Estrian P
Hehe, I don't know if he was applying to ITAN or advertising Descent ;P

You seem like a decent bloke. Please read this thread if you are interested in joining our ranks to see if you meet requirements:
Application Requirements

I look forward to flying with you sometime. ;)

Paz

Hey Big Rat! Welcome!
Just make sure you meet those requirements. :P

Big Rat

hey folks

looks like I'm in. I will endeavor to be a worthy and upstanding guildsman, and make a positive contribution. and no - not advertising descent - just letting everyone know where I'm coming from and what kind of action I'm looking for ;-)

rat

Paz

Well then looks like I can OFFICIALLY welcome you to ITAN!!

Estrian

Stop posting when I'm sleeping dammit Paz. Welcome to ITAN, Big Rat, may you find your place here.

Paz

Sowwy...   ::)

Estrian

lol Paz i'm joking, you post however much you like, provided you don't spam my PM inbox ;D

Paz

Waffles of Soggy

Welcome Rat. Looking forward to killing some reds with ya.
"Beneath the clouds lives the Earth-Mother from whom is derived the Water of Life, who at her bosom feeds plants, animals and men." ~Larousse
---------------------------------------------------------
<WoS> suspenders and loincloth
<slime> my favourite

Paz

:'( I miss killing reds...

Estrian

You MISS killing reds? What's wrong with you? Get out there and kill them! :D

hangroy

Welcome B. Rat

spidey

April 03, 2009, 10:57:56 pm Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:29:47 pm by spidey
Why kill reds when you can kill blues!
>.>
<.<

nah reds are more fun, the're usually pretty incompetent its hilarious!
Some random crap saying that's mildly philosophical.

Big Rat

I'm workin' on it - so far I've got a couple of honest kills of each color and several more in a goofy free for all bus war.

BR

Go Up

19 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome to Coalition of Itan [ITAN]. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 06:14:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length